AIA Arkansas Blog
Safety Assessment Program: Building Evaluator Training
Limited Space Available!
This training is available to Architects, Engineers and City Code Officials.
Space is limited to 35 participants. Register now to reserve your spot!
October 17, 2015
Hot Spring Convention Center, Room 209
Hot Springs, Arkansas
COURSE DESCRIPTION: Intended for licensed architects, engineers, or building code officials, this course certifies attendees as Building Evaluators in the California Safety Assessment Program (SAP). The program is managed by CalOES with cooperation from professional organizations, including the AIA. It utilizes volunteers and natural aid resources to provide professional architects, engineers and certified building inspectors to assist local governments in safety evaluation of their built environment in an aftermath of a disaster. SAP is the preferred training standard of the AIA Disaster Assistance Program, which provides leadership, advocacy, and training to architects who are interested in volunteering their professional skills in times of crisis. This workshop will teach participants to conduct rapid damage assessments of structures affected by natural and man-made disasters, including earthquakes, wind and water. It also teaches the appropriate protocol for coordinating with emergency managers to limit professional liability. Upon completion of this course, participants will be able to consistently and safely assess structures for habitability. Licensed architects, engineers, and code officials will be registered as CalOES SAP Evaluators.
- Recognize the important role the AIA, its member architects and associated building professionals play in disaster preparedness, response and recovery.
- Accurately conduct a post-disaster rapid building assessment and complete appropriate damage assessment forms.
- Demonstrate understanding of the Applied Technology Council’s ATC-20 and ATC-45 damage assessment training.
- Earn accreditation as a Building Evaluator in the California Safety Assessment Program
CEU: 6.5 HSW
COST: $250 Includes lunch and course materials.
COURSE MATERIALS INCLUDE:
- California Emergency Management Agency, Post Disaster Safety Assessment Program Evaluator Training Student Manual
- Applied Technology Council ATC-20 Field Manual: Safety Evaluation of Buildings After Windstorms and Floods
- Applied Technology Council ATC-45 Field Manual: Post-earthquake Safety Evaluation of Buildings
- Rapid and Standard Evaluation Sheets
TRAINERS: J. Scott Eddy, AIA of Barlow, Jenkins, Eddy P.A. and Ann Somers, AIA, LEED®-AP of Cook Douglas Farr Lemons Architects + Engineers PA
ELIGIBILITY: Any AIA member or associate member will receive CEU’s. Only licensed Architects, Engineers and Building Officials may be certified under the California program.
Sorry. This form is no longer available.